Blackberry Cardamom Tart
Yields 1-9” tart that serves 8-10 people
This tart is simple but made unique by the addition of cornmeal and cardamom. The cornmeal adds a slight sweetness and crunch to the crust, while the cardamom compliments the blackberries with a light floral aroma. This rustic tart is a healthier dessert option; but can also be made more indulgent by adding whipped cream or ice cream!
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornmeal
¼ tsp salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter
3-6 T cold water
1 beaten egg (for egg wash)
3 cups blackberries
3 - 5 T Fruit Sweet (depending on the tartness of your berries)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the crust by combining flour, cornmeal, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut the cold butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture. Using your fingers, combine the butter into the flour until butter chunks are no larger than the size of a pea.
- Finally, add water a little at a time while combing with your hands, just until it comes together. Shape into a disk and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, simply mix all ingredients in medium bowl until well combined.
- On a well-floured surface, roll dough into a 10” circle. Transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Add filling to the center of the crust, leaving approximately 1” of crust at the edge. Fold edges up to encase the outer edges of the filling.
- Brush the edges of the crust with egg wash and bake for 40-50 mins until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Recipe submitted by Grace Robinson