Ginger Kumpquat Vegan Gluten Free Tart
This recipe, created by Sage Hughes from our bakery team, is ambitious and considered advanced.
2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
6 tbsp Cold Water
1 3/4 cup Fine Almond Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 pinch of Salt
- Mix together the ground flax seed and water and let sit for 5 minutes - it will thicken up to a gel-like texture.
- Combine the flax seed mixture with the almond flour, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Press the dough into a tart pan.
- Poke some holes in the bottom of the crust using a fork.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Vanilla Cream Filling Ingredients
3/4 tsp Agar Powder
1 tbsp Corn Starch
2 tbsp Almond Milk (or your favorite plant milk)
1.5 cans Coconut Cream (5.4 oz can)
1/3 cup Fruit Sweet
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
¼ tsp Fresh Ginger + extra for garnish
Vanilla Cream Filling Instructions
- In a small bowl, whisk together the agar powder, cornstarch, and almond milk.
- Add the coconut cream, Fruit Sweet, and agar/cornstarch mixture into a pot and whisk thoroughly.
- On medium heat, bring to a boil and then remove immediately from the stove. It should be nice and thick at this point.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Add ¼ tsp sprinkle of fresh ginger
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender. Be SUPER careful while blending, because you definitely don't want the hot liquid to splatter everywhere. Blend for two minutes. This will create a lighter texture.
- Pour the filling into the tart crust.
- Set it in the fridge until the filling is firm (1-2 hours.)
- Garnish with sliced Kumquats candied in fruit sweet and honey
- Finish with vegan rice whipped cream- can be purchased at most Whole Foods stores
- Sprinkle with fresh ginger
Best served the day of, but still tasty the day after.